Olive Fertility is pleased to be able to offer the most advanced Non-Invasive Prenatal Testing (NIPT) available, giving you accurate information about the health of your pregnancy as early as 10 weeks.
What is NIPT?
NIPT is a new prenatal screening test that offers pregnant women accurate information about the genetic health of their baby without the risk associated with invasive testing such as amniocentesis or chorionic villus sampling (CVS).
This breakthrough new test allows us to screen the baby’s genetic material (DNA) by taking a simple blood sample from the mother’s arm. The baby’s genetic material (which is in the mother’s blood) is measured to look for too few or too many copies of certain chromosomes. When a baby has three copies of a chromosome instead of the usual two, this is called a trisomy.
figure 1 Non-Invasive Prenatal Screening (NIPT)
What does NIPT test for?
NIPT is used to screen for the most common genetic conditions such as:
- Trisomy 21 (Down syndrome)
- Trisomy 18 (Edwards syndrome)
- Trisomy 13 (Patau syndrome)
- Sex Chromosome conditions (X, XXX, XXY, XYY)
Why Choose NIPT at Olive?
1) You have support every step of the way: Choosing the prenatal screening that’s best for you and your pregnancy can be confusing. At Olive you will meet with Rachel Butler, our certified genetic counselor, where you can learn about your options and discuss any concerns you may have. After your information session you will have a single blood sample drawn. When the results are available Rachel will review them with you and provide you and your care provider with a detailed report.
Dr. Taylor is also available to answer pregnancy related questions and perform an ultrasound if necessary.
2) We offer the most clinically proven test available. Extensively reviewing all the options for NIPT testing, we chose the Verifi® test by Verinata Health as the best test for our patients because of the:
- Low test failure rates
- Fast turnaround time for results
- Extensive studies on thousands of women
- Advanced testing methodology
NIPT with Verifi is:
- 99.9% detection rate for Down syndrome
- Low false positive rate of <0.2%
- Low test failure rate of 0.07%
- Requires only 1 easy blood test
A blood test is taken from the mother’s arm and poses no risk to the pregnancy
Test can be done as early as 10 weeks of pregnancy
Results are usually available in 4-7 business days
How does NIPT Compare to other Current Screening Tests?
Is NIPT accurate for multiple pregnancies?
Yes studies have shown that NIPT with Verifi® is very accurate for both single and multiple pregnancies.
Are NIPT Results Conclusive?
NIPT, like other prenatal screening tests, is not considered diagnostic (100% accurate). If the NIPT result is abnormal we will provide you with counselling and offer you diagnostic testing, like amniocentesis, which will give definitive results.
How do I get NIPT?
call our NIPT line at 778-945-0997
email us at email@example.com